Monday, June 4, 2012

Section 1

I am now fully underway with beginning Section 1 of the credentialing application. After looking at all of the necessary components, I have decided to start at the top. The owners will be providing the information for the first two evidence numbers (the umbrella organization’s mission and goals and the ongoing methods used to evaluate the effectiveness of the umbrella organization’s performance). I will be working from scratch at writing the preface and developing the mission, goals and objectives for our residency program.

I explored the examples provided in the application resource manual and also looked online at residency programs that I was familiar with to see what information was accessible to help guide my process. Developing the mission came relatively easy, but developing the goals and objectives took a lot more tweaking and work. This became a joint effort with Pat (one of the clinic owners and clinician) and I. We spent several meetings looking at the goals I had previously developed to ensure that they encompassed all aspects of the residency. I also found the sports DSP to be helpful in determining objectives for each program goal that related specifically to advanced clinical practice. As a clinic, we are also very involved in the local community and made sure that the goals addressed this aspect as we feel it is important for a resident to gain this exposure and participate in community activities.

At the same time as working on the program’s mission, goals, and objectives, I am working on getting the resident application prepared for potential residency candidates to complete. Our plan is to have this application posted to our program’s website by early summer in order to begin the enrollment process for our first resident. For this candidate application I have developed the components I feel are necessary information to collect from the applicant. The first page of our application will include general information (I am working on developing questions that I would want the resident to fill out including general contact information and information regarding licensure status etc.), a written statement that will allow the candidate to express why he/she is a good fit for the program, and a page with instructions for references. Once I have this done, I plan to present it to the rest of our staff for feedback prior to putting it on our website. We have also begun to openly announce the starting of the residency program to PT students in the area and when we come in contact with others in the profession.

It is nice to have some things down on paper and I feel that the residency development in now well under way. I will continue to hash out Section 1 of the credentialing application while adjusting the goals as I see fit. I will also work on the preface that will serve as the introduction to the credentialing application.


Jen Flug PT, DPT, OCS
Premier Physical Therapy and Sports Performance

No comments:

Post a Comment